Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Just go out there...

For quite a long time, I had this somewhat inexplicable hesitancy to learn tree and plant species' names. I felt that if I scientifically categorized each specie then I would be less apt to readily appreciate each individual tree for its unique bark, canopy, branches, leaf growth, etc. Since I began farming a little over a year ago and have subsequently moved to the woods of Jaffrey, I realized that knowing the characteristics of species and what they indicate biologically about an area can be really helpful in determining soil health.

Moreover, knowing how to identify tree leaves, bark, and buds helps me to feel more involved with the tree communities. After just one day spent in College Woods, becoming more familiar with the forest composition and structure in this area, I felt so much more intimately connected with and excited about the woods we observed today. I absolutely loved being "thrown out" into the woods in small groups to do short and varied observations of different kinds of disturbances to the land. From pre-k through undergrad I really only recall one other educational experience that did this, a semester program with the School for Field Studies in Costa Rica. SFS was developed specifically to accomplish teaching through hands-on learning and directed research; but SFS is not the norm in terms of public schooling. There seem to be more "special" or alternative schools becoming established in the past decade or so; but how can inquiry-based and hands-on learning and teaching be more of the "norm" in public schools, rather than relying entirely on the initiative of particularly motivated teachers?

No comments: