Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"Please, exit the building."

This morning, all the Babcock Hall residents woke at 5:40 am to flashing lights, screeching alarms, and a woman's voice, kindly telling us that a fire alarm had gone off and could we, please, exit the building. Thinking to grab a key, I left and went outside where people had begun congregating in various stages of attire. Sitting for a while on a cold curb, I began to think about how this was the one day I had planned to sleep until 7 instead of 5:30, and that my limbs were feeling numb from the cold. This was a key moment in my day-I could have become sour over the situation; but instead I got up, walked to a grassy area with beams of sunlight and centered myself with a yoga practice.

I feel it is the same with environmental education. We have choices in how we react to situations. Plans do not go "as planned" the vast majority of the time; and trying to stick to those plans can actually make the situation much worse than it actually is. This ties in well with Vicki's excellent facilitation today about beliefs. What do we value? What are our driving beliefs? How do we enact those values in our daily lives?

I believe that all life has intrinsic value. Diversity promotes stability in this world. Every moment can be utilized positively...if we have the time and ability to notice. (I don't always succeed.) 

No comments: