Thursday, July 10, 2008

Learn, Learn, Learn, Pause

Composing a great piece of music is just as much about the pauses between the lines as the notes on the page. These four days have provided intense, fabulous, and insightful experiences for me. The wisdom of our own professors, as well as the specialities of our guest teachers have introduced and re-introduced ideas, concepts, and practical knowledge in such a short period of time. It is great to be completely immersed in such variety-good "ice-breakers", setting plots in the woods, GPS, vegetation identification, animal tracking, human history and use of land...the list continues. All the while, our instructors are pointing out to us how each of these aspects of our course can be applied in the act of teaching environmental education. So much to do in so little time. The readings, for me, create a time and space to pause and reflect, allowing me to maintain an energetic excitement for the days (a go, go, go sort of thing) because I know that I can have my own space later for reflection. This weekend, I plan to do exactly that; and to really analyze and go over this vast and sundry array of information. This course, to me, is just as exciting as hearing a new composition-the arrangement of topics allows us to see interconnectedness in this land and its people; and right now, is the pause.

Just as Eleanor said today, thank you all (y'all) for your amazing attitudes!

Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like your analogy to a musical compostion! It sounds as though you have been doing a lot of reflection this week; such a key component to the learning process!
I think we will be seeing more inquiry-based learning going on in traditional schools in the future - we have a bit of a "bump" to get over, but I think it's coming! I'm glad that you may be a part of that movement!
Keep your forehead to a tree!
Hope you had a great weekend!
-Robin